"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

We made it!

Nursing my ONE year old!
Pardon my silence. I've been busy, and, honestly, I've been trying to figure out something meaningful to say.
The victory of finally making it to a year is bittersweet. I am so happy to have made it this far. And I feel guilty that I didn't make it this far with my older children.
But, aside from that, making it to a year has been liberating. I've stopped pumping all day, every day. I still use the SNS, and I give her organic whole (cow's) milk. That, in itself, relieves so much stress. No more worrying about her not finishing that milk I worked so hard to get. She's still nursing as much as ever.
Nursing a 1 year old is completely different than nursing a younger baby. It's less about the milk, more about the comfort we both get. Who knows when she'll wean. She's welcome to nurse as long as she wants. Heck, maybe we'll even make it to 2 years. Or longer! But it'll be on her terms.

I'm still trying to work on a more meaningful post, but I've had major writer's block.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm nursing my toddler at 2½yo and having an emotional struggle with the idea of weaning. Meanwhile, Spencer is nursing well at nearly 3 months old and I'm having to supplement with donor milk.

    So awesome that you've done what it takes to keep going this long. You have every reason to be beaming with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story truly pulled me out of a funk I've been in tonight. For the last five years I've had strong feelings that I have tuberous breasts. Two separate opinions confirmed I was wrong, but left me with no closure. It's been a struggle mentally and emotionally, and I still know I am right! I am due June 13th with my first child and fear I will not be able to breastfeed successfully. I wrote down everything you advised and plan to take this to my newest doctor. (who i hope diagnoses me with IGT) For twelve years my body image has suffered because of the way i feel about myself, and now know that there is still hope after reading your post. Thank you for lifting my spirits and remaining to positive!

    ReplyDelete